Northern Lights Special – North Iceland
Aurora Borealis (or The Northern Lights) is one of the most spectacular phenomena on earth – and Iceland offers the perfect landscapes to enjoy the winter night scenery. Our Northern Lights Special offers you an incredible opportunity to combine hunting for the Northern Lights with a range of fantastic winter activities and excursions out to savour the Icelandic nature.
- Northern Lights evening tour
- Panoramic views of Eyjafjordur
- Godafoss waterfall
- Lake Myvatn
- Pseudocraters at Skutustadir
- Dimmuborgir lava maze
- Hverir solfatara field at Namaskard
- Nature Baths
Flight from Reykjavík to Akureyri. Local pick up from Akureyri airport and transfer to your choice of accommodation where you will stay for 2 nights. If you arrive in Akureyri on morning flight then you could fit in a short additional tour (needs to be pre-booked).
In the evening you join a 2/3-hour Northern Lights tour (starting at 21:30). During the tour, we drive out into the countryside away from the city lights to hunt for the Northern Lights. There is nothing as impressive as a moonlit starry winter night with the Northern lights dancing in the sky. While observing this phenomenon, we enjoy a light refreshment before returning to Akureyri.
Day 2: Lake Myvatn Winter Coach Tour, departing at 09:00. This winter tour to one of the most exciting spots in North Iceland focuses on the most attractive features of the Lake Myvatn area and its surroundings. The first stop is at Godafoss waterfall, not only famous for its breathtaking beauty but also its significant historical value related to the Christianisation of Iceland. From Godafoss the tour continues through the valley of Reykjadalur to Skutustadir in the Lake Myvatn district. Next stop is at Dimmuborgir, a lava labyrinth of magnificent basaltic pillars and lava sculptures. After a short walk in Dimmuborgir, the tour continues through the lava field to Grjotagja (road conditions permitting), which used to be a popular underground bathing cave among the locals before the Krafla Fires (1975-1984) when the water became too hot to bathe in. We continue east over the Namaskard mountain to explore the solfatara field of Hverir (Namaskard) where groundwater is heated by an underground magma intrusion. Sulphur deposits are brought to the surface, and the area is characterised by a strong smell of sulphur. After a short walk around the fumaroles and mud pits we head for the final destination of the tour, the Mývatn Nature Baths, where visitors get the chance to bathe in the silky smooth geothermal water (entrance fee to the spa is not included, you can decide on the day if you want to go into the spa). After time at the Nature Baths, we drive back to Akureyri where estimated arrival around 17:00.
If you were unlucky and did not see the Northern Lights on your first evening, then you have a chance for another complimentary Northern Lights tour this evening (departure at 21:30).
Day 3: Transfer from your accommodation to Akureyri airport.
Dates & prices
Departures: October – mid April
Prices for basic package, per person, from:
|Hotel, double/twin room with private facilities, incl. breakfast||ISK 84.600|
|Studio Modern apt. for 2 persons, with private hot tub, self-catering||ISK 96.600|
|Studio Modern apt. for 2 persons, without a hot tub, self-catering||ISK 84.400|
The basic package includes:
* Flight Reykjavik-Akureyri-Reykjavik w/airport.taxes
* Arrival/departure transfers in Akureyri
* 2 nights accommodation, sharing a double/twin room
* 1 Northern Lights evening guided tour from Akureyri
* Lake Myvatn guided coach tour
Upgrades and add-ons:
Why not extend your trip to the North and add on an extra night to the package?
Price for each additional night from:
|In double per person:||Single supplement per night|
|Option 1:||ISK 11.000||ISK 6.800|
|Option 2:||ISK 12.300||ISK 12.300|
|Option 3:||ISK 9.500||ISK 3.200|
You have the possibility of upgrading the Lake Mývatn classic coach tour to Game of Thrones-themed tour.
Additional cost for this upgrade is: ISK 7.900 per person
Another possibility is to upgrade the Lake Mývatn classic coach tour and the Northern Lights evening tour to a combined afternoon Lake Myvatn & Northern lights tour (inclusive dinner and admission to Nature Baths).
Additional cost for this upgrade is: ISK 24.700 per person; after 1st Jan.2016: ISK 28.700 (Departure from Akureyri: 13:00, duration: 11 hrs).
Good to know
- The tour can be combined with the South Iceland Northern Lights Special. Extra nights in Akureyri can easily be added to the itinerary.
- The itinerary may need to be adapted or changed depending upon prevailing weather/road conditions.
- For the Northern lights forecast, please check this site for daily reports: http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora.
- Akureyri has an excellent ski resort just 10-min. Drive from the town centre. Ski slopes on Mt.Hliðarfjall offer fantastic possibilities for alpine, cross-country skiing and snowboarding (late November/December-April). For further details on ski runs, opening times, and prices of rental and ski passes, check out the official website of the ski area: http://www.hlidarfjall.is/en.