3 Day Tour Northern Lights & Ice Cave Adventure
This three day south coast adventure tour embraces the highlights of the South of Iceland. It includes the historical and geological Thingvellir National Park, the majestic Golden waterfall Gullfoss, the world famous Geysir hot spring, the renowned Glacier Lagoon Jökulsárlón not to forget the immense black beaches and beautiful waterfalls of the south coast. On top of these unique natural wonders the tour includes exciting activities like a Glacier Walk and a tour into the Ice Cave (from November). We spend two nights at a family run country hotel where we enjoy traditional Icelandic dinners. This is also a perfect place for our northern lights hunts!
- Golden Circle
- South Shore of Iceland – Black sand beaches and waterfalls
- Glacier walk & Crystal Ice Cave
- Glacier Lagoon and Diamond beach
- Northern Lights hunt
- Small group and personalized service
Day 1: Geology, history, Geysers and Waterfalls.
Pick up between 08:15 and 08:45 at your accommodation. We leave the capital and drive towards Thingvellir National Park where we walk along the fault lines that make evident the rifting of the earth’s crust. We hear about the major historical events that have taken place here and come to understand why we are stood in a UNESCO world heritage site. We continue towards Geysir, witnessing its enormous eruptions before taking in the majestic Gullfoss waterfall. From there we drive along the scenic south coast for a night at Fosshotel Núpar near Kirkjubæjarklaustur.
We spend the evening hunting down the extraordinary northern lights.
Day 2: Glaciers, Icebergs and Ice caving
Today we head further east, taking in the vast open sand plains and the mighty Vatnajökull ice cap in the distance. Vast alpine peaks perforate the background as we admire the wonders of the Glacier Lagoon (Jökulsárlón), complete with huge icebergs and sunbathing seals. A short walk away we will will be on the Diamond Beach, named after its countless stranded icebergs. The afternoon will be adventurous and includes a glacier walk with ice cave exploration on one of Vatnajökull‘s glacier tongue. Afterwards, we return to our hotel resume our search for the
Day 3: Black beaches, Waterfalls and glacier walking
On our journey back to Reykjavík we take time to stop and enjoy the picturesque landscape of the south coast. We stroll along the black sand beaches of Vík and Reynisfjara, and drive down to the most photographed plane wreck. There is just time to take in the beautiful waterfalls of Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss before it is time to leave to wonders of the south coast and return to Reykjavik.
Group size: 4 – 16 people
Dates & prices
ISK 119.000 per person
Please check booking widget for available dates
- Qualified English-speaking driver guide for 3 days
- Transportation in a minibus
- Accommodation at Fosshótel Núpar with private facilities, including breakfast
- Glacier Walk and Ice Cave Tour
- Lunch, dinner
- Accommodation in Reykjavik
- Airport transfers
What do I need to bring:
- Boots and Clothing
- Light hiking boots
- Thermal underwear – Wool or synthetic
- Wind and waterproof jacket and pants
- Hiking pants
- Warm socks
- Warm hat
- Extra warm jacket / parka for cold days (winter)
- Other Gear
- Small backpack for clothes and items used during the day – 20L (1200 cu in)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (summer & spring)
- Water bottle
- Casual clothes / change of clothes
- Prescription medication and other personal health items
- Toiletries; Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap etc.
- Swim suit (depends on tour).
- Optional Gear
- Walking pole(s)
- Sun/rain Hat or a Cap
- Camera, spare batteries and a memory card or films
- Due to unpredictable weather conditions during winter, the itinerary of this tour might be reversed or changed. Ice Cave visits and Glacier walks are sensitive to weather conditions and can be replaced with other activities if needed. While it is our goal to deliver the best tour experience possible, the safety of our passengers is always our priority.
Northern Lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore can sightings not be guaranteed.