4 Day Self Drive Highlights of the Faroe Islands
4 Day Tour of the most amazing highlights of the Faroe Islands with accommodation in the heart of the charming Tórshavn the capital city of the Faroe Islands. This self drive option gives you the chance to explore and discover the most beautiful sights in the Faroe Islands.
- Tórshavn, capital of the Faroe Islands
- Gásadalur and Tindhólmur
- Saksun village and church
- Gjógv gorge and village
- Tjørnuvík bay with views of Risin and Kellingin
- Vestmanna bird cliffs
- Panoramic views of mountains fjords waterfalls and villages
Option from Iceland: departing from Keflavík International Airport at 09:00, arrival at Vágar airport at 11:25.Upon arrival to Vágar airport pick up your rental car.
Before driving to the capital Tórshavn you can use the opportunity to explore Vágar Island. One of its gems is Gásadalur, a home to the beautiful waterfall Múlafossur, while the village of Gásadalur with its wooden houses is a perfect setting for a photo. Until 2004 when a tunnel was blasted through one of the mountains the village was an isolated community reachable only on foot, by boat or helicopter.
Along the way you can enjoy the magnificent view of the steep slopes of the Tindhólmur Island. The drive to Tórshavn goes through colourful villages and offers views of tiny waterfalls on top of the hills.
Accommodation for the next three nights in hotel within walking distance to the old town center and the old Tinganes, crammed with red-coloured wooden turf-roofed houses and the Tórshavn cathedral.
Day 2 – Saturday: Tórshavn, Saskun, Gjógv and Tjørnuvík
The village of Saksun near the northwestern coast of the island Streymøy. The turf-roofed church of Saksun and the Dúvugarður farm museum are located at the bottom of a former inlet of the sea and surrounded by high mountains.
Gjógv is a picturesque and northernmost village on the island of Eysturøy. At the edge of this beautiful village, with old wooden turf-roofed cottages, there is the „gjógv“ – a 200-metre long sea filled gorge after which the village is named.
Driving to Eiði we can observe „Risin og Kellingin“ – the legendary rocks rising 75 metres up from the sea just bellow th 343-metre high promontory of Eiðiskollur. Along this route we also get a good view of the 880 metres high Slættaratindur,the highest Faroese mountain.
Last but not least: Tjørnuvík – the northernmost village on the island of Streymøy – one of the oldest Faroese villages that can be traced back to the era of the Vikings. Surrounded by high mountains with a beautiful sand beach, it offers breathtaking scenery. From the beach you can observe the Giant and the Witch (Risin og Kellingin) on the horizon and enjoy the serene tranquility of the nature.
Return for the night to Tórshavn.
Day 3 – Sunday: Tórshavn, Kirkjubøur or Vestmanna bird cliffs
Today you can choose from three distinct options:
* Drive to the Vestmanna cliffs where you have the possiblity to join a 2-hour boat tour to the renowned Bird cliffs, sailing through the narrow sounds, deep grottoes and along the high cliffs while observing thousands of the nesting birds.
* Just a short driving distance from Tórshavn there is the historical site of Kirkjubøur, the southernmost village on Streymoy Island. Along the way you can enjoy the views of the islands of Hestur and Koltur. In Kirkjubøur you can observe the ruins of the old Magnus cathedral from around 1300 as well as the Saint Olav‘s Church from 12th Century which is still in use.
*Make an early start and make most of the day by heading up to the Northern islands, visiting 6 islands in one day! Prepare for quite a bit of driving and visiting a lot of villages!
Day 4 – Monday: Departure Day
If departing on flight to Denmark: you can either leave on the early morning flight to Copenhagen at 08:20, or spend the morning in Tórshavn and leave on the early afternoon flight, departing at 14:30. There is also a possibility to add one day car rental and use the last day in the Faroe Islands for another sightseeing drive and take the evening flight to Copenhagen, departing at 20:40 and arriving in Denmark at 23:45.
If departing on flight to Iceland:
In the morning you have time to spend in the city or the option of another short sightseeing drive on the way to the airport. Drop off the rental car around noon at Vágar airport. Flight to Keflavík departing at 14:45, arriving to Iceland at 15:15.
Dates & prices
Departures: Every Friday, all year.
Included in the prices:
– Flight Copenhagen (or Reykjavik) – Faroe Islands – Copenhagen (or Reykjavík)*, incl. airport taxes
– 3 nights hotel accommodation in Tórshavn in a double/twin room, breakfast included
– 4 days car rental: unlimited mileage, tex, CDW; pick up/drop off at Vágar airport
– Detailed itinerary based on pre-booked accommodation
– Service and VAT
Good to know
It is possible to use any combination of the flight to/from the Faroe Islands with Atlantic Airways. Flights from other Atlantic Airways destinations to the Faroe Islands (e.g. Bergen, Edinburgh, Paris) are also possible – upon request. If you have any questions, please contact us at nonni(at)nonnitravel,is