4 Day Self Drive Highlights of the Faroe Islands
4 Day Tour of the most amazing highlights of the Faroe Islands with accommodation in the heart of the charming Tórshavn the capital city of the Faroe Islands. Be an explorer and explore the most beautiful sights of the Faroes.
- Tórshavn, capital of the Faroe Islands
- Gásadalur and Tindhólmur
- Saksun village and church
- Gjógv gorge and village
- Tjørnuvik bay with views of Risin and Kellingin
- Vestmanna bird cliffs
- Panoramic views of mountains fjords waterfalls and villages
Day 1 – Friday: Flight to Faroe Islands, Gásadalur and Tórshavn
Option from Denmark: departure of flight to the Faroe Islands from Copenhagen at 12:05, arriving at Vágar airport at 13:20. Option from Iceland: departing at 10:10, arrival at Vágar airport at 12:35.Upon arrival to Vágar airport pick up your rental car.
Before driving to the capital Tórshavn you can use the opportunity to explore Vágar Island. One of its gems is Gásadalur, a home to the beautiful waterfall Múlafossur, while the village of Gásadalur with its wooden houses is a perfect setting for a photo. Until 2004 when a tunnel was blasted through one of the mountains the village was an isolated community reachable only on foot, by boat or helicopter.
Along the way you can enjoy the magnificent view of the steep slopes of the Tindhólmur Island. The drive to Tórshavn goes through colourful villages and offers views of tiny waterfalls on top of the hills.
Accommodation for the next three nights in hotel within walking distance to the old town center and the old Tinganes, crammed with red-coloured wooden turf-roofed houses and the Tórshavn cathedral.
Day 2 – Saturday: Tórshavn, Saskun, Gjógv and Tjørnuvik
The village of Saksun near the northwestern coast of the island Streymøy. The turf-roofed church of Saksun and the Dúvugarður farm museum are located at the bottom of a former inlet of the sea and surrounded by high mountains.
Gjógv is a picturesque and northernmost village on the island of Eysturøy. At the edge of this beautiful village, with old wooden turf-roofed cottages, there is the „gjógv“ – a 200-metre long sea filled gorge after which the village is named.
Driving to Eiði we can observe „Risin og Kellingin“ – the legendary rocks rising 75 metres up from the sea just bellow th 343-metre high promontory of Eiðiskollur. Along this route we also get a good view of the 880 metres high Slættaratindur,the highest Faroese mountain.
Last but not least: Tjørnuvik – the northernmost village on the island of Streymøy – one of the oldest Faroese villages that can be traced back to the era of the Vikings. Surrounded by high mountains with a beautiful sand beach, it offers breathtaking scenery. From the beach you can observe the Giant and the Witch (Risin og Kellingin) on the horizon and enjoy the serene tranquility of the nature.
Return for the night to Tórshavn.
Day 3 – Sunday: Tórshavn, Kirkjubøur or Vestmanna bird cliffs
Today you have a possibility for 2 short excursions:
* Drive to the Vestmanna cliffs where you have the possiblity to join a 2-hour boat tour to the renowned Bird cliffs, sailing through the narrow sounds, deep grottoes and along the high cliffs while observing thousands of the nesting birds.
* Just a short driving distance from Tórshavn there is the historical site of Kirkjubøur, the southernmost village on Streymoy Island. Along the way you can enjoy the views of the islands of Hestur and Koltur. In Kirkjubøur you can observe the ruins of the old Magnus cathedral from around 1300 as well as the Saint Olav‘s Church from 12th Century which is still in use. Interesting to visit is also the the old farmhouse (Roykstofa) from 11th Century.
Day 4 – Monday: Departure Day
Early morning drive to Vágar airport in time for your international flight to Iceland, departing for Keflavik at 08:50, arriving in Iceland at 09:20;
If departing on flight to Copenhagen, you can either leave early morning (08:20), or early afternoon /evening flight which gives you extra time to enjoy the beautiful landscapes of the Faroe Islands.
Dates & prices
Departures: Every Friday, June – September (Friday to Monday)
Single room supplement: EUR 240
– Flight Copenhagen (or Reykjavik) – Faroe Islands – Copenhagen (or Reykjavík)*, incl. airport taxes
– 3 nights hotel accommodation in Tórshavn in a double/twin room, breakfast included
– 4 days car rental: unlimited mileage, tex, CDW; pick up/drop off at Vágar airport
– Detailed itinerary based on pre-booked accommodation
– Service and VAT
Good to know
It is possible to use any combination of the flight to/from the Faroe Islands with Atlantic Airways. Flights from other Atlantic Airways destinations to the Faroe Islands (e.g. Bergen, Edinburgh, Paris) are also possible – upon request. If you have any questions, please contact us at nonni(at)nonnitravel,is