5 Day Highlights of North Iceland – Winter
North Iceland has so much to offer you all year around. Winters can be truly magical once the landscape gets covered by layers of snow. This tour gives you a chance to spend 2 nights in Akureyri – the capital of the North – and 2 nights at Lake Myvatn, where there are no city lights to obscure the clear winter nights. Sometimes, on a clear moonlit evening and with northern lights playing in the sky, drive through the night might almost feel like daytime as the light reflects on the surrounding mountains, and even more so when snow covers the land. This feels like magic!
- Town of Akureyri
- Rural area of Eyjafjörður
- Chance to hunt for Northern lights
- Goðafoss waterfall
- Volcanic landscape of Lake Mývatn area
- Nature Baths
- Old turf farm and folk museum at Grenjaðarstaður
- The fishing village of Húsavik
- Whale Museum
Day 1, Tuesday:
Flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri and transfer to the city. We start a 4-hour tour of Akureyri and the surrounding area. During the tour, we drive through the old centre with charming old houses that are surrounded by lush vegetation. The church of Akureyri towers over the downtown area. In clear weather, we drive up to the hills above Akureyri from where we get a great view over the town and the fjord. Then we head on for one of the valleys in Eyjafjörður area where we also visit one of the typical Icelandic farms, enjoy light refreshment and get the chance to meet with the local people.
After the tour, check in at the hotel in Akureyri and the rest of the afternoon free to explore the town centre, visit the local swimming pool. In the evening possibility for optional Northern lights tour if weather permits (not included).
Day 2, Wednesday:
Daytour to Goðafoss waterfall and Lake Myvatn area. The next days you will stay overnight in the Lake Myvatn area. Goðafoss waterfall whether bound in ice or not is definitely worth paying a visit. The volcanic region of Lake Myvatn with the lava fields and various types of volcanic craters is a magical place during winter time. During the sightseeing tour, we stop at major sights of interest. After, the tour drops you off at the hotel close to the lake.
During the cold winter months, large parts of the lake freeze over which offers possibilities for various activity on the ice. Weather permitting, you have a chance for an optional Northern Lights tour in the evening (not included).
Day 3, Thursday:
Daytour to Husavik and the countryside (approx 5 hrs). Get to know Iceland of the past and present. We drive to the hydroelectric power station on the beautiful Laxá river and visit the old turf farm and folk museum at Grenjaðarstaður. Continue to the fishing village of Húsavik which has become mainly known as a whale watching centre. Though winter months are not the right time to see whales in nature, a visit to the whale museum will be just as enjoyable.
After the tour free time or transfer to Nature Baths and relax in the pleasantly warm geothermal water of the lagoon and the steam bath. In the evening – weather permitting, you have a possibility for optional northern lights tour.
Day 4, Friday:
Morning free or possibility for an optional tour, e.g. by jeep to Dettifoss, Europe’s most powerful waterfall which drops deep down into the canyon of Jökulsárgljúfur. The winter view of the waterfall is particularly majestic. In winter it may be necessary to walk through snow to get to the waterfall (tour duration ca. 4-5 hrs, not included).
When weather and ice conditions allow there are also possibilities for different optional activities on the lake and in the area.
After an optional morning tour or a relaxing day near your hotel, you return to Akureyri by bus leaving Lake Mývatn area in the afternoon. Overnight in hotel in Akureyri.
Day 5, Saturday:
Transfer to Akureyri airport in time for your flight to Reykjavik. On Saturdays, there are 4 flights a day during winter months, the earliest departing at 09:55, the last one at 18:55.
Optional tours: from Akureyri and Myvatn are not included in the package and can be pre-booked.
Dates & prices
Departures: September – April
Minimum: 2 participants
Price per person: ISK 206.500
Single room supplement: ISK 25.000
- Flight Reykjavík-Akureyri-Reykjavík incl.airport taxes
- Airport transfers in Akureyri
- 4 nights hotel accommodation in double room with private facilities, including breakfast
- Schedule bus Mývatn-Akureyri
– Akureyri & surroundings incl. farm visit and light refreshments
– Goðafoss/Lake Mývatn with drop off at Mývatn
– Húsavík & Countryside Tour
– Entrance to Nature Bath incl. transfer to/from the hotel in Mývatn (1x)
Not included: meals others than specified, optional tours
Good to know
- The tour can be combined with the South Iceland program. Extra nights and optional excursions can be added in Myvatn or Akureyri.
- Ski slopes on Mt.Hliðarfjall offer excellent possibilities for alpine and cross-country skiing and are only a short distance from the town (late November-April)
- Opportunities for additional tours and activities at Lake Mývatn (dependent on ice/weather conditions):
- Dettifoss super jeep tour
- Jeep Safari: Hverfjall, Ludent, Krafla
- Northern Lights evening tour from Lake Mývatn or Akureyri
- Cross-country skiing tour
- Snowshoe hiking
- Snowmobile tours
- Horseback riding
- Go-karting and other fun activities on ice (depending on ice/weather conditions)