Day tour Diamond Circle – Dettifoss and Mývatn
Lake Mývatn and the surroundings is a must see while exploring the north!
- Goðafoss waterfall
- Lake Myvatn
- Dettifoss Waterfall
- Skútustaðagígar pseudo craters
The tour starts at 09:00.
First we drive along the coast of Eyjafjordur. We begin by stopping at Goðafoss waterfall on our way to Lake Mývatn. The lake was created by a large basaltic lava eruption 2300 years ago, and the surrounding landscape is dominated by volcanic landforms, including lava pillars and rootless vents. We stop in Skútustaðagígar (pseudo craters) on the way to the unique lava formations of Dimmuborgir which are among the most popular tourist attractions in the Mývatn area. We also go to Grjótagjá Rift, an old natural bathing spot filled with naturally heated water coming out of a rift. we stop also at Dettifoss (Europe´s most powerful waterfall) Selfoss waterfall and Hverarönd in Námaskarð (hot spring area) Nature Baths: where you get the chance to bathe in the geothermal water.
After the stop in the nature baths we drive back to Akureyri.
Our last stop is in Eyjafjordur where you can see over the fjord to Akureyri.
We limit the group size to be able to give you a better and a more personal experience.
Dates & prices
Departures: Daily, All year
Adult: ISK 21,900
Child (0-12): ISK 10,950
- Fully guided tour
- Pick up at your accommodation in Akureyri, Akureyri harbour or at Akureyri domestic airport
- Small group guarantee
- Entrance to Myvatn Nature Baths
Good to know:
- Reservation is necessary
- During the tour we break for refreshments at a café. The stop is quite late on the tour and we therefore recommend a pre-packed lunch
- Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have to alter the itinerary, have longer journey time or in worst case scenarios, cancel the tour
Meeting point: Free pick-up at Akureyri hotels, guesthouses & airport
We recommend you bring:
- Good walking shoes
- Warm clothing
- Water bottle
- Pre-packed lunch
- Swimsuit and Towel