Day tour Diamond Circle – Dettifoss and Mývatn
A legendary canyon created by the eight-legged horse of the god Odin, the most powerful waterfall in Europe and Lake Mývatn, so out of this world that is was used as a training area for astronauts. All in one day? Yes and more: a visit to the stunning GeoSea Geothermal Baths in the coastal village of Húsavík. I challenge you do to find a more complete daytour!
- Goðafoss waterfall
- Pseudocraters of Skútustaðir
- Námaskarð geothermal area
- Dettifoss waterfall and Jökulsárgljúfur canyon
- Hljóðaklettar (the Echocliffs)
- Ásbyrgi canyon
- Húsavík fishing village
- GeoSea Geothermal Baths (entrance fee not included)
Pickup is from 7:45-8:00 am, and we start our tour in the North.
We drive east from Akureyri, cross Eyjafjörður fjord and enjoy the view of the town, the ocean and the mountains surrounding the fjord. After only a half hour drive we arrive at the picturesque Goðafoss Waterfall where we stop before we travel for another half hour to the Lake Mývatn area. Before heading into the highlands we have a short break at a local restaurant or a grocery store at the lake.
From Lake Mývatn we head up to the highlands. There we explore the dramatic and captivating landscape formed by glacier floods and Jökulsá Glacier River. At one of our stops in this area we sit down and enjoy a picnic in beautiful surroundings.
After a scenic drive along the Arctic coastline we stop in the fishing village of Húsavík where we can try the new GeoSea Geothermal Sea Baths. Those who don´t want to try the baths can spend time in the lovely town, visit the Whale Museum or just enjoy one of the nice cafe´s in town. After this last stop we will head back to Akureyri.
Tour Duration: 10 – 11 hours
Dates & prices
Departures: daily from 16 May – 15 October
Price per person: ISK. 19.900
Children 0 – 12 years: ISK. 9.950
- Fully guided tour
- Pick up at your accommodation in Akureyri or at Akureyri domestic airport
- Small group guarantee
- Entrance to GeoSea Geothermal Baths in Húsavík
- Packed lunch
Good to know:
- Reservation is necessary
- During the tour we break for refreshments at a café. The stop is quite late on the tour and we therefore recommend a pre-packed lunch
- Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have to alter the itinerary, have longer journey time or in worst case scenarios, cancel the tour
Meeting point: Free pick-up at Akureyri hotels, guesthouses & airport
We recommend you bring:
- Good walking shoes
- Warm clothing
- Water bottle
- Pre-packed lunch
- Swimsuit and Towel