Day Tour Glacier Walk in South Iceland from Reykjavík
The most popular tour in the book! On this Iceland day tour you will be guided through the labyrinth of a glacier tongue extending down from the fourth biggest glacier in Iceland.
- Sólheimajökull glacier views
- Safe and easy glacier walk
- family friendly adventure
Only two hours from Reykjavík you find the Eyjafjallajökull massif, and just a little further east the Sólheimajökull glacier, a tongue extends down from its mother glacier, Mýrdalsjökull, Iceland’s fourth largest. On this tour you will go on a safe and easy walk on crampons up onto the ice field where you will discover a wonderland of ice sculptures, ridges and deep crevasses, and learn about the glacier and the effect of the Eyjafjallajökull eruption in 2010 on the glacier and its surroundings. Our experienced mountain guides will teach you how to use the basic ice equipment necessary for this tour. On the way back there’s a stop at the picturesque waterfalls of Skógafoss and Seljalandsfoss. An Iceland glacier walk is a great way to experience nature and a tour on the Sólheimajökull glacier is an ideal way to spend the day! This is a great, family-friendly, way to experience the Icelandic glaciers.
Daily departures all year as a private tour
Duration: 10 hours
- Transportation between Reykjavik and Sólheimajökull
- Guiding services
- Glacier gear
- Safety equipment
Minimum age of passengers is: 10
What do I need to bring?
- Warm clothing
- Rain gear
- Hiking boots
- Boots and rain gear can be rented on location (1.500 ISK per item)
- This tour starts and ends in Reykjavik. If you have a rental car, you can go the base camp at Sólheimajökull yourself and start the tour from there. Please see here