Come along for an adventure, starting from Iceland’s historic Thingvellir National Park, transporting you across the rugged highlands for an unforgettable glacial experience.
- Kaldidalur highland road
- Langjökull glacier and ice cave and tunnels
- Glacier vehicle transport to the ice cave
- Small group
The meeting point of the tour is at Thingvellir National Park, so you need to get there yourself (perfect for self drive travelers).
From there, you will board a specially modified glacier vehicle which will take you across the rugged Kaldidalur highland road to the Klaki base camp. Along the way, the knowledgable English speaking guide will explain the significance of the Langjökull glacier to the region, explaining how its underground glacial streams deed the picturesque Thingvallavatn, the largest natural lake in Iceland.
From the base camp, the vehicle will drive on the glacier towards the ice tunnel where you will go on a 1 hour guided tour.
The tour ends in the same place it started, at Thingvellir.
Dates & prices
Departures: Daily from 1. June to 15. September
Tour Duration: 5 – 6 hrs.
Price per person: ISK 24.900
Teenagers (12 -15 YRS): ISK 12.450
Children (0 – 11 YRS): ISK 7.470
- Guided tour from Thingvellir National Park to the Klaki Base Camp via the Kaldidalur highland road.
- Tour in a specially modified glacier vehicle up the Langjökull glacier to the ice tunnel.
- Admission to the ice cave and tunnels, with guidance in English.
- English-speaking driver/guide/audio guidance
- Free WiFi in the glacier vehicle.
- Crampons are provided for use inside tunnels
Good to know
- Please note that this tour departs from our meeting point located on Vallavegur Route 361 North of Thingvallavatn Lake. You will need to drive yourself to the meeting point to join your tour, making this activity ideal for those on self drive tours of Iceland.
- Driving directions: Take road no. 1 heading north out of Reykjavík. After driving through the town Mosfellsbær, take the first exit to the right at the roundabout onto road no. 36 to Thingvellir. When in the National park take a turn on to Vallavegur Route 361 North of Thingvallavatn Lake.
The departure point is on a parking lot close to the camping ground Sydri Leirar. GPS N64° 16.646 W21° 5.613
What to bring:
- WARM CLOTHING IS MANDATORY! Even during the summer, the conditions will be cold and snowy on the glacier.
- Waterproof footwear and warm socks. Because cold toes spoil the fun!
- Layers, including a thermal base layer.
- Warm and waterproof coat.
- Hat and gloves.
- Sunglasses, to block the sunlight reflecting off the glacier… and to look cool.
- Don’t forget your camera to capture this one-in-a-lifetime experience. We’d love to see your pictures, so please tag them #IntoTheGlacier