Day Tour RIB Whale Watching from Húsavík
Meet the friendly giants of the sea in the breathtaking surroundings of Skálfjandaflói Bay. The RIB boats (Rigid Inflatable Boats) are perfectly designed to get you as close as possible to the whales, dolphins and birds on the sea. The speed allows us to cover longer distances in search of whales which increases the chances of meeting some of the biggest animals in the world.
- Whales in their natural surroundings
- RIB boat ride
- Scenic views of the mountains of north Iceland
- Sea birds
- The Skjálfandaflói Bay
The RIB boat tours start from Húsavík harbour. We dress into floatation suits, put on safety vests and after the safety instructions speed off towards the whales in Skjálfandaflói bay. The RIB boats are equipped with seats for 12 passengers. The small group size provides each passengers with a good view on board.
The speed of RIB boats allows us to come quickly to the whales and further out. Despite the speed and power of the RIB boats their noise and impact is minimal. We experience whales in their natural environment alongside various sea birds including puffins (until mid-August). The mountains surrounding the Skjálfandaflói bay provide beautiful background.
Among whales that can be seen in Skjálfandaflói are white-beaked dolphin, humpback whale, harbour porpoise, minke whale, killer whale, fin whale and blue whale.
Bring your hats and gloves with you – the bay can be pretty cold!
Tour duration: 2-hour boat tour
Dates & prices
Daily from April to October
For full details, find your date in the booking area and see all available departure times!
Price per person: ISK 17.900
Children 8 -14 years: ISK 11.900
Included in the price:
- RIB Boat ride with experienced English speaking guide and captain
- All passengers are provided with warm floation suits and safety vests
Good to know
- Tours are dependent on weather and sea conditions. For your safety and comfort, the tour operators reserve the right to change or cancel departures, even with short notice, should weather or other conditions change. In case of cancellations due to weather, customers receive a full refund or can change their departure depending on availability.
- International regulations state that RIB boats are allowed to have 12 passengers on board each boat, so the boats were specially designed to meet those regulations. The RIBs have all the necessary equipment on board. This includes: rescue boats, lifebuoys, rescue throwing line, flares, compasses, first aid kits, fire extinguishers, tool kits, navigation lights, radios, GPS devices, anchors and life jackets for all on board. Life jackets have automatic gas inflation so they will inflate automatically should you enter the water wearing one.