Going whale watching from Húsavík in North Iceland is an unforgettable experience. Meet the friendly giants of the sea in the breathtaking surroundings of Skálfjandflói Bay.
7-19 species of whales have been spotted in the sea around Iceland, 12 of them can be considered common visitors, e.g. minke whale, humpback whale, killer whale and harbour porpoise. Join us on a day trip to look for these magnificent creatures of the high seas.
- Whales in their natural surroundings
- Húsavík town with its charming harbour
- Scenic landscape of North Iceland
- The Skjálfandaflói Bay and mountain views
Húsavík is often called the capital of whale watching in Iceland and the Original Húsavík Whale Watching tour in a traditional Icelandic oak boat is operated by the one of the pioneers of whale watching in Iceland. The beautiful Skjálfandi Bay offers some of the best whale watching and beautiful surroundings. The professional crews on the whale watching boats, specifically trained in responsible conduct with the whales, guide and inform you the whole time, and even offer you hot cocoa and cinnamun buns!
Húsavík is about an hour from Akureyri, so if you don´t have a car, you can take public bus no. 79 (for schedules and prices, check out www.straeto.is).
Dates & prices
Tour duration: 3-hour boat tour
Departures: Daily from March to November
Several daily departures in May and June: first dep. at 10:00, last dep. at 19:30
Several daily departures in July, August: first dep. at 08:00, last dep. at 20:00
Several daily departures in September: First dep. at 08:30 or 09:30, last dep. at 16:30
Please check your dates on the booking engine for the full range of options!
March, April, October and November 1 – 4 daily departures, please check your dates on the booking engine for the full range of options!
Price per person: ISK 10.690
Children 7 -15 years: ISK 3.900
Children under 6 years: free
Tour fact sheet
- Refreshments: hot chocolate and cinnamon buns
- Expert whale watching guide
- Warm overalls and raincoats available free of charge
Good to know
- Tours are dependent on weather and sea conditions. For your safety and comfort, the tour operators reserve the right to change or cancel departures, even with short notice, should weather or other conditions change. In case of cancellations due to weather, customers receive a full refund or can change their departure depending on availability.