Day Tour Lofthellir Ice Cave Tour from Mývatn
The highlight of the tour is undoubtedly the natural ice sculptures inside Lofthellir cave, formed over thousands of years by slowly dripping water. But the tour also takes you to scenic stops such as the Lúdentsborgir crater row and Myvatn lava fields
- Volcanic landscapes of Lake Myvatn
- Ludentsborgir crater row
- Lofthellir lava cave
- Underground ice world
- Lava field hike
- Small group – 10 people maximum!
From Lake Mývatn we drive along a rugged track around the unique volcano Hverfjall, through the crater row of Lúdentsborgir where we stop and enjoy the view over the Lake Mývatn area. After about 45 minutes drive we arrive at he roots of Mt. Hvannfell. After 20-30 minutes walk across a lava field which is adorned by spectacular ropy lava, we reach the Lofthellir Ice Cave.
At least one hour is spent inside the cave, observing this unbelievable natural phenomenon. The temperature inside the cave is around 0°C so warm and preferably waterproof clothes are recommended. After walking back over the lava field we enjoy the scenic drive through the incredible geology of the landscape on our way back to Lake Mývatn. We make a short stop in the village of Reykjahlíð by Lake Mývatn before returning to Akureyri.
Tour duration: 4-6 hours
Dates & prices
Daily Departures all year:
Weekdays at 10:30am
Weekends at 11:00am
Price per person: ISK 19.900
Children (8-12 years): ISK 9.950
Please note that this tour can also be booked starting from Akureyri, please see Day Tour Lofthellir Ice Cave.
- Guided tour in English
- Cave exploration equipment (helmet, headlights and studded boots)
Refreshments are not included.
Good to know
- This tour is not suitable for young children, people with claustrophobia or people that are not in reasonable physical condition
- Not recommended for people with knee or hip problems
- To reach the cave is a 30 minute hike across a relatively smooth lava field
- The short entry (approx. 1,5m) into the cave is narrow and guests need to crawl on their stomach to enter
- There is ice and water on the floor of the cave and the temperature inside the cave is around 0°C
- Due to weather and/or road conditions we might have longer journey time or cancellation of the tour
We recommend you bring along:
- Warm and waterproof clothes
- Thick socks
- Water bottle