Visit the lava tunnel Raufarhólshellir just 30 minutes from Reykjavík. It is one of the longest and best-known lava tubes in Iceland!
- Explore a lava tube cave
- Close to Reykjavik
- Accessible and family friendly
This is a standard tour which includes transportation from Reykjavík and allows you to explore the tunnel in an easy and enjoyable manner. The tunnel is covered in large rocks and difficult to pass. That is why paths and a footbridge have been constructed so it is easily accessible when doing the Lava Tunnel Tour. Impressive lighting in this part of the tunnel highlights the changing colors and clearly shows the powerful seismic activity that formed the tunnel.
Dates & prices
Daily at 9 am and 1 pm, all year.
Pick up is between 08:30 – 08:50 am and 12:30 – 12:50 pm
Duration: 3 hours – 1 hour in the cave
Price per person: ISK 11.900
Teenagers (12 – 15 YRS): ISK 5.950
Children (0 -11 YRS): Free
- Guided tour in English
- Transporation between Reykjavik and the lava tunnel
- Crampons (if needed) and helmet
What do I need to bring?
- We recommend that you bring warm clothing as well as sturdy shoes!
- Fitness level needed – This tour is suitable for most people, but we do not recommend the tour for those that have difficulties with balance, difficulties walking on uneven surfaces (such as snow) or difficulties walking up or down steep stairs.
- Please note that this tour includes transportation to and from Reykjavik. If you want to book this tour without transportation, please see here.